Dedicated Newnan Lawyer Assists Victims of Auto Accidents
Georgia attorney works to secure compensation for injured clients
An accident on one of the busy roads in the Atlanta metro area can have devastating consequences for you and your family. As you recover from your physical injuries, you may see medical bills and other expenses pile up, particularly if you are unable to work. At the Law Office of S. Mark Mitchell, LLC in Newnan, I have obtained substantial financial compensation for the victims of Georgia vehicle crashes. My firm combines skillful legal advocacy with the personal attention that you deserve during a difficult time. Whether your collision involves cars, trucks or motorcycles, I will develop a strategic plan to secure a full and fair verdict or settlement.
Most common causes of motor vehicle accidents in Georgia
Auto, truck and motorcycle accidents are commonly caused by:
- Distracted driving
- Drunk driving
- Reckless driving
- Design defects
- Other types of negligence
I have the necessary skills and to investigate the cause of your accident and to determine who is potentially responsible.
Skillful advocate litigates all types of cases arising from car crashes
For more than 15 years as a personal injury attorney, I have asserted the rights of accident victims and have helped them to collect damages to cover medical costs, lost income, pain and suffering and other losses. The cases I handle may involve:
- Insurance issues — Georgia follows a traditional fault system, so accident victims in the state have the option of making a claim with their own insurer, seeking relief from the at-fault driver’s carrier or filing a lawsuit. Each choice has certain advantages depending on the circumstances, so I will advise you on what works best in your situation.
- Expert testimony — To help with reconstructing the accident or demonstrating the extent of your injuries, I bring in top experts such as trauma doctors, chiropractors, forensics engineers, mechanics and collision reconstruction analysts. Having articulate experts deliver compelling testimony about the cause of your accident and the extent of your injuries can make all the difference in your case.
- Accidents caused by drunk drivers — Motorists who are under the influence of alcohol or drugs pose a serious danger to everyone on the road. Recognizing this risk, state law allows plaintiffs to seek punitive damages from a drunk driver who has injured them in a vehicle crash. As your advocate, I am determined to maximize your recovery by seeking punitive damages as well as compensation.
I have the experience and resources to present a comprehensive case detailing your accident and the harm that it caused you. Evidence and witnesses can disappear quickly, so I offer a free initial consultation to help start the legal process immediately.
Modified comparative fault in Georgia
With all accidents, liability is a critical issue. A driver who is legally responsible for having caused the accident must pay compensation for the victims’ losses. However, there are accident scenarios in which drivers share in causing the crash. Georgia has enacted a modified comparative fault law, which allows an injured party to collect damages as long as he or she is less than 50 percent at fault for the crash. However, the court will reduce compensation for that injured party in proportion to his or her fault.
For example, a driver who sustains losses of $100,000 is found to be 25 percent at fault for the crash. That driver can collect damages but the damage amount is reduced by 25 percent to $75,000.
Defense attorneys often use an allegation of comparative fault to attempt to reduce their client’s liability. This is yet another reason why you need an experienced attorney on your side fighting for your maximum recovery.
Handling insurance bad faith claims
Insurance companies are diligent about collecting premiums but are also determined to avoid paying accident compensation whenever possible, sometimes denying or shortchanging legitimate claims. When an insurance company’s bad faith denial of benefits forces you to resort to litigation, having an aggressive, experienced personal injury lawyer to represent you can make all the difference in the outcome of your case.
Steps to take after you’ve been involved in a car accident
If you have been in a car crash, your paramount concern is your safety and that of your passengers. So, you must get the vehicle to a safe place on the side of the road if at all possible. You also have a legal responsibility to provide reasonable first aid to anyone injured, including parties in the other vehicle. However, you must also consider the legal implications of the crash and the prospects of an insurance claim and/or lawsuit. To protect your legal rights, you should:
- Call 911 and ask for the police and an ambulance
- Remain at the scene until the police arrive
- Exchange identifying information, including insurance, with the other drivers involved
- Use your cellphone to take photos of the accident scene, injuries and property damage
- Collect contact information from potential witnesses
- Go to the ER and get checked out, even if you aren’t sure you’ve been hurt
- Report the accident to your insurance company
Then, call an experienced auto accident attorney who can begin investigating immediately and preserve evidence that might be necessary to preparing your case for damages.
Determined lawyer pursues justice for people hurt in truck collisions
Special regulations apply to large trucks and their drivers, but it takes a knowledgeable lawyer to identify rule violations that may have led to accidents. If you have been injured in a truck collision, I will conduct a thorough review to determine if regulations concerning speed, load weight or driver rest requirements contributed to the crash. In many cases involving commercial vehicles, more than one party is negligent. I aggressively seek a maximum recovery that holds each liable person and business accountable.
Contact an aggressive auto accident attorney in Newnan
Consult an attorney immediately following a Georgia automobile accident, when witness recollection is fresh and evidence available. To schedule a free consultation at the Law Office of S. Mark Mitchell, LLC, call 470-344-8550 or contact me online.